Biden accomplishes a great deal with his lightning trip to Kyiv yesterday:
– He gives encouragement and strong moral support to Ukraine and to President Zelensky,
– He affirms strong bipartisan support for US commitment to Ukraine’s defense, quieting any right-wing Republican or left-wing Democratic opposition to the policy (for the time being),
– He sends a strong personal message of strength and resolve to Putin,
– He shows he has guts and courage, a willingness to take risks, contradicting the image of someone of his age, and
– He asserts US leadership of the West, showing glaringly Europe’s dependency on America.
Pretty good result, for a short trip!